Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Day 54: for Sabine

I've read Sabine's story three times now trying to think of a relation between our lives to write about, but honestly, I have none.  The crimes Sabine suffered are so unspeakable, the violation so distrubing, the exploitation so sickening, I just read speechlessly.  Why does Sabine suffer while I enjoy God's blessings?  Why did God put me here, where I am loved and provided for and blessed beyone my comprehension, and put her there, where any ounce of self-esteem that she may build up is quickly beaten out of her?  Why do I prosper while Sabine is degraded?

All I can say is that there is a God who loves is and never lets go of us.  He knows what it's like to be stripped, beaten, mutilated, degraded, despised, rejected, and just flat out denied.  He knows our deepest hurts, Sabine's deepest hurts, and he loves us all the same.

As I run for Sabine, I run for my Savior.

Sabine's story:

Sabine was 23 when her parents gave her to another family as partial payment for a used car. The family who took Sabine used her as a domestic slave for three years, making her look after their seven children and hiring her out to other men for sex. They burned her with an iron and cigarettes and beat her with iron bars and sticks, took her identity papers and claimed her unemployment benefits for themselves, and chained her up in a squalid shed at night to prevent her from escaping. They threw scraps of food on the ground for her to eat, treating her worse than an animal. When Sabine fell ill, the family dumped her outside a Paris hospital. She had no teeth and weighed less than 84 lbs. Her nose and ears had been mutilated, and she needed corrective surgery. A French court sentenced Sabine’s parents to 30 years in prison, the maximum sentence under French law. Ten other defendants received prison sentences of between 2 and 25 years.

Click here for Sabine's story.

6.4 miles for Sabine.
281.77 miles to date.

Ruby
Sandra
Berchewkan
Mani
Sophea
Janna
Syowai
Ka
Stephanie
Alex
Mai
Khamta
Adaze
Jayati
Boloztuya
Prettygirl
Theresa
Esperanza
Xuan
Geeta
Debbie
G.Q., N.H., and S.O.
Anuradha
Veronica
Martina
Shauna
Rosa
Jaycee
Charlotte Awino
Kikka Cerpa
Jana
Lannie
Samira
Mari
Sarah
Mao Mao
Keisha
Brittany
Gabriella
Akemi
Olga
Alissa
Karina
Maira
Amita
Josephine
Sabine

Because He first loved me,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment