Thursday, October 6, 2011

Days 55-57: for Mylee

When I read Mylee's story, honestly, I came up speechless.  (and if you know me, that's rare.)  Her situation was so unfathomable to me, I almost felt that trying to write about it and make a connection with her would be patronizing.  I read the story a second time and I placed myself in Mylee's shoes, and one word stuck in my mind: courage.  Mylee had every reason to fear, to listen, to tolerate the constant abuse of her employer, but yet she didn't.  She clung to hope even when there was none, and when every bit of value was stripped away from her by those around her, she still maintained her dignity.  My running is not even a taste of what Mylee had to endure, but I know that if Mylee can make it through, then I can finish 365 miles, and maybe even run 365 more...

Mylee's story:

For Mylee, a young single mother from the Philippines, employment as a maid for a family in Saudi Arabia was a possible route out of poverty. Her employer was an officer in the Saudi Royal Navy. While his wife was away, he raped Mylee. She was subsequently raped repeatedly but was too scared to run away.

Mylee was given just one piece of bread to eat at meal time. When she fell and cut herself while cleaning, blood gushed from her wound, but her employer refused to take her to the hospital. He told her, “You might as well die.” Mylee wrapped the wound with her own clothes.

After several months, Mylee managed to contact Philippine labor authorities in Saudi Arabia, and they arrived at her residence with local police. While they gathered outside, Mylee’s employer raped her for the fifth time. The police finally rescued her after hearing her screams from outside the house, and they arrested her employer. The criminal investigation is ongoing.

source of Mylee's story

19.6 miles for Mylee
301.37 miles to date.

Ruby
Sandra
Berchewkan
Mani
Sophea
Janna
Syowai
Ka
Stephanie
Alex
Mai
Khamta
Adaze
Jayati
Boloztuya
Prettygirl
Theresa
Esperanza
Xuan
Geeta
Debbie
G.Q., N.H., and S.O.
Anuradha
Veronica
Martina
Shauna
Rosa
Jaycee
Charlotte Awino
Kikka Cerpa
Jana
Lannie
Samira
Mari
Sarah
Mao Mao
Keisha
Brittany
Gabriella
Akemi
Olga
Alissa
Karina
Maira
Amita
Josephine
Sabine
Mylee

Because He first loved me,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment