Monday, April 18, 2011

Day 8: for Stephanie

Today is a big day for running dorks like me: the Boston Marathon.  As I type this, I have one eye on the computer and the on the TV, specifically, on my favorite runner, Ryan Hall.  My dream is to one day run the Boston Marathon.

Today's a big day for another reason: it's my 18th birthday! (Yes, I was born on Marathon Monday in the middle of National Poetry Month.... God couldn't have picked a better day!)  Days like today make me realize how blessed I am.  I have a good job, I'm about to start an exciting internship, I have friends who love me like family and my family is my best friends. I'm headed to my first choice college in the fall to become a teacher, my dream since before I started kindergarten.  I guess I have a lot going for me right now.

But then I sit down to find another girl to dedicate my run to each day, and I feel so guilty.  These girls are the same as me... they have dreams, but they are forced to abandon them to take care of their families, whom they have to abandon as well in order to go where the money is,.  Why does God bless me so greatly when there are people in the world like Ka and Janna and Sandra and Ruby?

From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.
Luke 12:48

Today, I run for me.  I run for all of the people like me who are blessed enough to have computers, but are trying to make sense of all the heartache.  I run for the 18 year old girls who still have dreams.  I run for my best friend Alex who is going to run with me today,  And I run for you, at whatever price you may set on me.

34.16 miles

Ruby
Sandra
Berchewkan
Mani
Sophea
Janna
Syowai
Ka
Stephanie

Because He first loved me,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment